Friday, May 7, 2010

Working Outside

This week the weather was beautiful, so I had to spend my days outside. I spent most of my time working on the ponds. The front pond (here when we moved in) had been seriously neglected for the last year.

Since it's in the front yard I didn't ever sit out there and it's hard to even see it when you drive up to the house.
Cleaning this one out was an all-day job. First it had to be drained completely. Then two years worth of leaves and muck had to be sucked out. (I found two HUGE toad tadpoles too.) Then I fashioned another urn fountain out of another planter I had. This still needs some tweaking, I have it on a bird bath stand, which is too high. The birds are enjoying it though. I've been watching them bath in the urn.


It has goldfish instead of Koi.

There is a place to sit and watch them. The bench needs to be painted which is not very high on my list of priorities right now.

At some point, I think I'll just fill it in, but for now I've tried to beautify it a little more so we can enjoy it.


And here are a few things that are blooming in my garden this week. It's kind of the purple wave of blooming. We just went through our pinks with all the azaleas.

Japanese iris


Columbine & Foxglove

The foxglove are just starting to open. They are one of my favorite.


In the fall I planted a bunch of Knockout roses. Here they come!



Have a great weekend!
Thanks for stopping by today.

Julie



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie the garden looks great. I love the urn and bench and am thinking about knock outs for my garden too.

Annie

the gardener's cottage said...

hi julie,

your garden is fabulous! i mean FABULOUS!

I don't think that bench needs painting, it's gorgeous. and i'm loving all the flowers, especially the foxglove. i'd love some of those seeds! wouldn't that be something if they grew here! you say you just scatter them and they grow? amazing!

~janet

Unknown said...

Oh, it looks so gorgeous! I love water elements in gardens, so peaceful. You are very brave, I can tell you right now that I would have screamed and run away if I had found tadpoles - eeeek! Happy Mother's Day!

kayce hughes said...

Beautiful.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Would love to join you here after my Zyrtec kicks in!