Friday, July 2, 2010

Charming!

We just got back from a wonderful vacation. We went to Cape May, New Jersey and stayed at Congress Hall.


Congress Hall is a beautiful old hotel that was built in the 1800's. It has served as a summer home for a few presidents who called it their "summer white house".


The room doors have an exterior shutter door 


There are rocking chairs everywhere




It was redone in 1995.  The decor is whimsical and classic. There is carrera marble everywhere and the walls are painted in either bright robins egg blue, yellow or pink stripes with black and white accents.

Ballroom 

Lobby

They mix old and new in such a fun way.  The old sofa is painted high gloss black with white vinyl upholstery. 



Concierge desk

Even Drew appreciated the decor--his face lit up when we walked into our room.



Pool umbrellas and towels are pink (I love that!)

Our balcony

It's an upscale hotel without being fussy.




There was a wedding taking place when we arrived

Until three years ago I had never been to the Jersey shore, and frankly I didn't think I would like it very much.  I never really loved going to the beach (I prefer lakes).  The beaches I've been to have always been very commercial, very built up and very crowded and lined with ugly motels.


Cape May is NOT your average beach town. There is so much to see and so much history.  The streets are lined with amazing old victorian homes most are available to rent. 




 The houses have beautiful gardens.  Instead of a seedy boardwalk there is a little town center that has shops and restaurants flanking an extra wide walkway complete with fountains.  After dinner families usually sit around people watching and eating ice cream.


I was having such a nice time I didn't really get very good pictures. But, after spending time at Cape May and Congress Hall, I can now say, I really like the beach! We will be back, so maybe next time I do a better job with photography:)

Have a great 4th of July!

3 comments:

the gardener's cottage said...

hi julie,

it sounds like such a lovely place. so filled with character and warmth yet updated freshly. i love all the bright colors.

~janet

ps ~ i just received your seeds and will scatter them today and say a prayer! thank you so much for sending them my way. cross your fingers!

Anonymous said...

Oh Julie sounds like a wonderful trip. What a beautiful place. Jeff's brother lives about 20 minutes from there, but we have never explored it. Thanks for sparking interest in heading up for a long weekend.

Proper Hunt said...

I love this blog post! And the next time I go to Cape May (hopefully soon), I'll definitely have to stay at Congress Hall. It looks like a place where I would just soak up all their design ideas. Thanks so much for finding me and leaving a comment!