Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Is It Wrong That I Want My Neighbors To Go Away?



In the summer I'm a neighbor with benefits.  When our friends go away, we reap their garden's bounty.

One neighbor subscribes to an organic farm delivery for the year.  She went on vacation and asked me to "do her a favor"--pick up her organic fresh-from-the-farm delivery of fruits and veggies for this week.  Sure, that's the kind of favor I like to do :)

We got these peaches, a bag of green beans, a melon, and some squash. Yum!


Our next door neighbors have this amazing fig tree.


They told us to go ahead and eat as many figs as we want -- they'll be out of town when they're ripe. This tree produces the most delicious fruit! Sure, we can do that if it'll help :)


Another neighbor has a flower bed with the tallest healthiest zinnias I've ever seen.  She asked me to cut as many flowers, as often as I want.  The more you cut zinnias, the more they bloom.  Sure, I don't mind having happy pink zinnias in my house. Especially if it'll help keep the plants healthy:)



And finally, yesterday I got this beauty from my parents house.  My brother and I debated over who was more worthy--he ended up picking it and giving it to Drew as we were leaving. Nothing says summer for me like a homegrown tomato.  I can't wait to eat it!!


As much as I like my neighbors, I can't help smiling when they tell me they're taking a little trip in the summer.  Is that so wrong?.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not wrong at all! We've all experienced these feelings at some point... cute post :)

Eddie & Jaithan

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Julie, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! Be thankful and enjoy to the fullest!!

pve design said...

If you were my neighbor I would love you to come help yourself! I have apples - tomatos, eggplants and peppers!
pve

the gardener's cottage said...

hi julie,

i thought by the title of the post you really wanted new neighbors! i wish i could trade mine for yours.

~janet