Friday, June 10, 2011

Scratching that itch

I've been itching for a treasure hunt lately. 
I haven't been to an estate sale or flea market in quite some time.  

I was so excited about an estate sale in my neighborhood this week that I showed up early to get a good place in line. I was about 24 hours too early. (It actually starts today.)

So to scratch that itch I went full force thrift store shopping yesterday.  

I found a new shop and I think some unique treasures like this huge vintage tole sconce.
It needs to be rewired if I want to use it as a light. 
Or, I could just put candles in it.  I'm not sure where it will go, but it was just too unique to pass up.


I love the crown detail.

I also have been looking for a round table for this corner. 
I didn't care what it looked like because I will use a table cloth on it.
This one is the perfect size and was just $15.  
 It provides hidden storage for the piles of newspapers that accumulate.

This darling vintage tole lamp was only $5. I think I'll clean it up, get a cute little shade and and do something with the paint so I can use it in the kitchen. 


My sister in law just gave me the jadeite gravy boat. I saw this bowl for $12 and thought even if I don't get a complete collection going this would be nice to use for salad and dressing this summer.


Greek key curtain panel (just one).
It was $3 and I thought I can do something with the fabric - right?....

 A "couch protector "
It's true, my dog is not completely trained to stay off the furniture. He likes to sneak up on it when no one is looking. I thought this table cloth had the right colors and was really a beautiful.

The shop owner said the embroidery is all hand done. 
It was $10 and I can think of a multitude of uses for it.



Effortlessly/strategically draped on the love seat it will add a splash of color and 
keep the dog hairs off my lovely neutral linen.


Finally I got a 30 inch glass table top for $15. I've wanted to use my sheaf of wheat table as a coffee table but it was just too small. With the bigger glass top I think it works perfectly. 






Aaahhhhh! I feel so much better now. I don't even know if I need to go to that estate sale today. 

Have a great weekend!
Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

the gardener's cottage said...

julie i need to go shopping with you. that sconce and lamp is perfection. you house looks amazing btw. that coffee table is gorgeous and that sofa!

xo
janet

Silver Magpies said...

Love that sconce!Good call, too unique to pass up.

Stitchfork said...

Wow - I want to go shopping with you too!
xo Cathy

Bonnie said...

Wow! You did really, really, really well. I love the Greek key fabric. If it is thick enough, I could see it used to recover the seat of a hardback chair.... The sconce is equally wonderful! May I once again say, Wow!

Anonymous said...

oh boy, are you one of those good at everything type people?

About Last Weekend said...

Oh my gosh - you have a great eye, that lamp and candle holder are incredible! You would pay thousands for those on a website. Maybe this is your second career! (Besides the thousands of other things you achieve in a day!) Plus I have to say your table is amazing - is that French mid century. Beautiful. I know what you mean, that kind of shopping is so satisfying.

julielorusso@gmail.com said...

Hi Jody. The table is italian 1960's. It's been popping up a lot lately. If you want more details click over to my post about it.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Sure ya do! Looking great, Julie!

Leslie said...

I love the sconce! And I think it looks great with candles on the wall in the living room (is it still there???).
The lamp is darling. You are so talented!