Saturday, February 27, 2010

New Friday Night Favorite

If you're reading this post, the chances are pretty good that you've eaten pizza at our house at some point (probably on Friday). I've been making pizza on Friday nights for as long as I can remember in my married life.
Drew 1 year at our old house making one of his first pizzas



Trader Joe's has it all



Matt considers himself a pizza expert and was always in search of the perfect New York style pizza. He likes it very thin, not a lot of sauce or cheese. He never could find one down here that he thought was any good. Until we discovered all the ingredients we need at Trader Joe's to make our own pizza at home. It takes a little practice, but it's worth the effort.

Making the dough yourself is not worth the effort. I have made pizza dough from scratch, but frankly it takes a long time, makes a mess, and really doesn't taste any better than the $1 dough I get at Trader Joe's.

Greek pizza ingredients
Whole wheat dough offers healthy option (not as tasty)

A few weeks ago I had some feta cheese in the fridge, and I was craving something salty. So I decided to make what we're now calling our Greek pizza. Now I know I didn't invent this, but it's become a house favorite among some of our regular guests and Matt.


I encourage everyone to give making your own pizza a try. It tastes way better. It's not greasy at all (my version actually uses lower fat cheese), it is faster than ordering pizza for delivery, cost a fraction of what you pay for delivery, and is a lot of fun to do with people around. We've had quite a few pizza parties where the kids all get to top their own or take turns putting the toppings on. Kids really get a kick out of making their own pizza.


Here's what you need for the Greek Pizza

  • Room temperature dough (1lb makes two pizzas)
  • Pizza sauce
  • Carmelized red onion
  • Kalamata olives
  • Sun dried tomatoes
  • Garlic Powder
  • Oregano

Pre-heat oven to 500
Roll out the dough (toss in air to entertain crowd)
Spread sauce
Sprinkle oregano and garlic powder
Add crumbled feta, olives and sun dried tomatoes

Bake for 9 minutes
ENJOY!

Note: time and temperature may vary based on your oven.




3 comments:

Heather said...

Look, I'm reading your blog! And now I remember how much I love your pizza, so I look forward to a Friday night invitation soon :)

Elia said...

Did you read the Washington Post yesterday (3/3/)? There's a great article on the quest for the perfect pizza. Great ideas and experiments written about in that article!

Mike Whalen said...

I'm getting hungry