Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fine tuning the Sunroom

I had a fantastic week last week, and this one is off to a pretty good start too.

I finally found a chair that I think is interesting that works in the sunroom.


After bringing this one home I decided it was time for me to finish the chair I had been working on in the upholstery class. It's still not finished, but it's in the room and can be sat upon.




Can you see the cute little reading swing-arm lamp next to the chair. I found it at my favorite thrift store. It's perfect, because it is not messing up the view to the garden but Matt has the light he needs to read.



It think it looks so much better on that side of the room now that I don't have two very large dark green chairs.


I found these gray wicker lidded baskets at Ross for only $11.99 and $7.99.

They go nicely with the bigger blanket basket I got a few months ago and the tin-lined baskets I'm using for my ferns. (found at Marshall's on clearance for $2.99.)


I think I'll use these gray boxes to organize the toy and craft closet in the sunroom. I'm always so mortified when the closet doors swing open. I think these could actually make it look cute in there. The biggest one cost only $6.99. Again, I found them at Ross.



The smallest box was $2.99 and I'm using it for S&P shakers and napkins.


I made a couple pillows for the living room. They are a very luxurious chenille and velvet. I've got a dark and light thing going on in there. It's a work in progress, but I do think it's coming along.





In other creative ventures I created a little water fountain for a good friend of mine. You don't have to have a pond to have a fountain:).

This one only cost $25 because we used things we already had. I'll do a separate post about how to make a patio fountain later this week. (I hope you're not getting tired of the urns.)



We ended the week by hosting about 20 people for a going away party/lunch for one of Matt's staff people. It was a lot of fun and I did some really cute things with the food and the yard that I would love to show you, but I forgot to take pictures. Everyone had a great time though.


Thanks for checking in with me today!

Julie

9 comments:

the gardener's cottage said...

hi julie,

i love that sunroom. it is so beautiful with all the windows and the view. and i love that bamboo console table. your chair looks great too. everything is perfect. i'd love to hear what you did with the food at your party. as an ex-caterer i'm always fascinated with food presentation.

~janet

carla said...

I will be off to Ross and Marshall's to find some grey wicker baskets tomorrow. It all looks fantastic, so inviting and lovely.

Anonymous said...

I could die happy in that sunroom! It's gorgeous!

Upholstery class, eh? I don't know if I am brave enough to tackle that but I admire your courage!

Kacey
Shes.No.Martha

Anonymous said...

I could die happy in that sunroom! It's gorgeous!

Upholstery class, eh? I don't know if I am brave enough to tackle that but I admire your courage!

Kacey
Shes.No.Martha

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Julie, you have been a busy girl. Your sunroom is lovely! Where are you taking an upholstery class? I would love to do that!!!

kayce hughes said...

It all looks great! I am especially coveting the bamboo shelf.

Unknown said...

I love this room! Oh, a good book + this room, you'd never get me out! xx

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous, Julie! And I love your bargain finds, I LOVE Ross! They have the best home stuff, we always find great things at the one in Savannah! Thank you so much for your sweet comment about my anniversary, bald guys are the best (thank goodness they don't do the comb-over!)

Anonymous said...

Let me just say that the pictures of Julie's sunroom and the rest of the home hardly do justice. I have seen it first hand and everything about it - every space, every detail, each accessory are all warm and inviting and trés chic.
I had the pleasure of being her first guest on the new patio. It was a wonderful evening full of margaritas, girl talk, and great fun. My favorite of her most recent projects that I noticed and commented on are the new chandelier hanging in the sunroom over the table, the beautiful gardens in the yard, and the kitchen space. And I have always been a big fan of her jewelry, I own more than 20 pieces.
Everything looks great! What a lovely transformation on Monkey Grass Hill! Cheers!