Sunday, November 10, 2013

Door Knobs Optional

Apparently knobs on front doors are not mandatory in London.

Instead of a knob there is a little lip that you can grab with your index finger.


To further befuddle or amuse me, I've also noticed that if they DO have a knob it's placed dead center in the door and they don't attach to any mechanism and there is no standard height and no leverage.

So, if you are trying to enter through a door with a centered knob you basically just have to thrust your body at the door. Why?


I googled "door knob in center of door", to see if there is some reason way back in history that has just carried forth. All I found were other googlers wondering the same thing. I think they are purely decorative.

What do you think?


centered knob

No Knob


Centered knob (very high mount)
Centered knob

No knob (incredibly low mail slot)

Just barely qualifies as a knob 





10 comments:

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

As a non native I also find this at first odd then tedious. I have actually bought spare knobs but then I get asked to get rid of it bc it looks odd. Sometimes form over function over here! :)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I actually love the look of the knob in the center. I'm sure someone knows the reason, but it would require exploring page 16 of a google search, and who goes that far into a search? The little lip alone makes the door look unloved.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I like the centered knobs but the low mail slots amused me. Postmen must get sore backs from bending over to shove mail through those low slots.

Anonymous said...

Really i like your blog good information.thanks for sharing

buy door handles

Unknown said...

I liked the "Centered knob" door for my house. It looks something new for that i choose the door. Home Decor Ideas

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Really a nice collection of the knobs. The designs and apperance of knobs are just eye catching and adds extra beauty to the house.

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

Happy new year Julie! Was wondering how you are adjusting - are you a Pommie yet?? Hope you are well and look forward to your next post :)

Kim @ Plumberry Pie said...

Hello there! Linda at Calling it Home directed me your way as I'm embarking on expat life in Germany starting Feb. 14th! Look forward to following along your journey in London.

Unknown said...

How funny to have a knob in the middle of the door. I think studies of front doors are wonderful. hope all is well with you and your family. Xo Nancy